Thursday, March 15, 2012

Divine Nettles

Tonight we are feasting!  My parents are coming over for dinner tonight, and we are grilling some chicken, and having roasted cauliflower and sauteed greens.  It is the greens that I am so excited about!  For some reason we have had a super successful winter growing gorgeous rainbow Swiss chard, spinach, kale, and now that spring is here our nettles are growing.  Yes, I planted nettles on purpose and I saute them along with the other greens and it makes an incredible side dish.  Before we had this wonderful garden of greens it would never have occurred to me to buy Swiss chard, or to pick nettles and saute them for dinner.  But since they are growing in such profusion, and since we really want to be more self-sufficient, I want to use them, instead of making yet another trip to the grocery store.  So all winter I've been experimenting with ways to use all of these greens.  Our favorite is to saute them in olive oil with caramelized onions and garlic, and then sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese.  Sometimes we put it in pasta, and sometimes we just eat it as a side dish.  Either way it is divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment